Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Sparrow


I am only a little sparrow,
A bird of low degree;
My life is of little value,
But the dear Lord cares for me.

He gave me a coat of feathers;
It is very plain, I know,
With never a speck of crimson,
For it was not made for show.

But it keeps me warm in winter,
And it shields me from the rain;
Were it bordered with gold and purple,
Perhaps it would make me vain.

I have no barn or stonehouse,
I neither sow nor reap;
God gives me a sparrow’s portion,
But never a seed I keep.

If my meal is sometimes scanty,
Close picking makes it sweet;
I have always enough to feed me,
And “life is more than meat.”

I know there are more sparrows,
All over the world we are found;
But the heavenly Father knoweth
When one of us falls to the ground.

Though small, we are not forgotten;
Though weak we are never afraid;
For we know that the dear Lord keepeth
The life of the creature he made.

- Anonymous

And God Created Every Living Creature (Genesis 1:21)
(See Mathew 10:29-31; Luke 12:6-7)

No comments: