Thursday, November 22, 2007

God's Tool Box

I dreamed I saw God's tool box
In Heaven on a shelf.
I asked if I could look inside,
He answered, "Help yourself!"
I lifted the lid up slowly
And peered inside to see
What kind of tools He uses
To work on humanity.

But when I looked inside,
I was surprised at what I saw;
After studying each of them,
I looked at Him in awe.
"This is what You use, Lord,
When dealing with Your own?
I expected tools more gentle,
Not chisels and grinding stones."

"Yes," He said, "My work requires
That I use tools like these --
To smooth the jagged edges
Left by selfishness and greed.
Nothing works like hardship
To bring men to their knees,
So they will turn from self and sin
To seek fellowship with Me."

"That one over there is pain,
But I use it only when I must;
It makes the spirit stronger
By building faith and trust.
And I call that one affliction;
I must use it from time to time
To soften hardened hearts
And make them more like Mine."

Then He reached inside once more
And pulled out a satin glove.
"This one is my favorite," He said,
"For I call this tool Love.
I use it to soothe the heartaches
Caused by your fellow men;
So you'll remember that I love you
And share that love with them."

"Now do you see, My child,
Why I choose to work in this way?
I'm only making you stronger
When I whittle sharp edges away."
Then He gently closed the lid
And I woke up from my dream.
But after looking inside His tool box,
How different this world seems!

Copyright ©1997 by Jan McIntosh

No comments: